In the modern world, so many advanced technologies are available to deal with several health issues. People can easily identify their health issues with the advanced device and treatment methods. But in ancient times, there was no advanced technology and devices to find our health issues in a quick way. This would also delay the treatment process; At the same time there are so many positive treatment methods available to prevent several health issues in the body. Body Massage is one treatment that is effective for rejuvenating the body.
One of the main treatments for the patient during the ancient period, doing body massage. Yes, regularly doing body massage will provide several health benefits to the body. Ancient people are following massage as a healing therapy for several health issues. People also get positive results while doing body massage regularly. Ancient people including ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Indians and Chinese used it to treat a variety of ailments.
Massage therapy is the practice of kneading or handling a person’s muscles and other soft-tissue in order to improve their wellbeing. It is a form of manual physical therapy that includes holding, moving, and applying pressure to the muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia.
Massage therapy for some disorders
Research mentioned that massage and myotherapy are effective in managing:
- subacute/chronic low back pain
- delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- soft tissue injuries
- high blood pressure
They can also used to support people with:
- a chronic disease
- a life threatening illness such as cancer.
Health Benefits of massage
One of the quick and sudden benefits of massage is a feeling of deep relaxation and calm. This occurs because massage improves the release of endorphins – the brain chemicals that produce feelings of wellbeing.
Regularly doing body massage will help to reduce the Levels of depression hormones, such as adrenalin, cortisol and norepinephrine. Studies mentioned that high levels of depression hormones impair the immune system.
Some of the physical health benefits of massage and myotherapy include:
- reduced muscle tension
- improved circulation
- stimulation of the lymphatic system
- reduction of stress hormones
- increased joint mobility and flexibility
- improved skin tone
- improved recovery of soft tissue injuries
- heightened mental alertness
- reduced anxiety
- Reduced depression.
Different types of massage
Most people think massage is only one type for the body, but there are so many different types of massage available to deal with several health issues. Most commonly massage practitioners or specialists use either some special oil with a nice aroma or talcum powder to allow their hands to slip over a person’s skin. Sometimes massage specialists will use a sheet or thin piece of soft cloth used for the same effect.
Different types of massage may include:
- Myotherapy – main use to treat soft tissue pain, injury and dysfunction. Myotherapy is applied to restore and keeping the health and function of the soft tissue structure such as muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia of the human body
- Remedial – This is a complementary therapy whose main goal is to treat muscles that are damaged, knotted, tense or immobile. Remedial massage is ideal for those with chronic pain and injuries that require proper diagnosis and specific treatment, so this varies from normal body massage therapy.
- Therapeutic – This therapeutic type massage is also called a ‘Western’ or ‘Swedish’ massage. This type of massage is mostly loved by the Australian people, so it is famous in Australia. Therapeutic massage is supported to relieve pain, reduce stress and work on a specific problem—such as a frozen shoulder.
- Lymphatic drainage – A Lymphatic drainage massage, also called manual lymphatic drainage. This massage method helps to relieve swelling that happens when medical treatment or illness blocks in a person’s lymphatic system. Lymphatic drainage massage involves a smart and very gentle handling in specific areas of the body to help lymph move to an area with working lymph vessels.
- Aromatherapy – This type of therapy is mainly practiced with essential oils made from selected flowers and plants are added to the massage oil for their particular therapeutic properties. For example, when a person inhales the scent of sandalwood oil, the scent molecules in the sandalwood oil travel from the olfactory nerves directly to the brain and especially impact the amygdala, the emotional center of the brain. It will also help to decrease the nervous tension.
- Baby massage – can support constipation, colic and sleeping disorders like insomnia and etc. Several health studies revealed that regular massage supports premature babies to gain weight at a faster rate.
More Points on Body Massage
- Reflexology – In the human body that certain parts reflect the whole. Reflex points, which are linked to all parts of the body, can be found in the face, ear, hands and feet. These points respond to pressure, stimulating the body’s own natural healing process, in this massage technique no need to apply any lotion or oil in the body.
- Shiatsu – an oriental massage technique that motto is to increase energy flow by working certain points or regions on the body. The underlying principles of shiatsu massage are little similar or equal to those of acupuncture. But in this massage technique not using needles and also not applying oil on the body.
- Sports – This is an application of massage, The type of technique or treatment applied is dependent on the nature of the stage of training or competition, injury during the sports game and the assessment of the remedial massage therapist. Sport massage is a blend of techniques that motto to improve the performance and supports overworked muscles to recover fastly for performing very well in the game.